No, Walmart doesn’t take apple pay. Instead of Apple pay, Walmart accepts Walmart Pay. Walmart pay is more or less the same as Apple Pay. Only that you’ll have to scan a QR code to complete the transaction. You can use Ibotta pay to make them accept apple pay anyway. Let me tell you how.
Does Walmart Take Apple Pay
Unfortunately, you won’t use Apple Pay to pay as you normally do at stores that accept it.
For payment with Apple Pay, the cashier machine must have near-field communication (NFC) technology installed. Unfortunately, Walmart does not support NFC.
They have installed QR technology in their machines. QR technology will only support payment with credit cards, debit cards, or mobile payment from other accepted payment options that involve scanning of a barcode.
Walmart not accepting Apple Pay is not the end for you if you use an iPhone. You can still download and install the Walmart app on your iPhone and create a Walmart account. You can then add your Visa or Mastercard by filling in the required card details. You then proceed to pay for your shopping.
Why Does Walmart Use Walmart Pay Instead Of Apple Pay
Walmart uses QR technology to process mobile payments. This means that besides cash, it will accept payments that involve scanning a QR code to complete the transactions.
Apple Pay processes transactions using near-field communication (NFC), a technology recently invented in the 21st century. Unfortunately, Walmart cashier machines do not support NFC technology. It’s barely a decade since Walmart started accepting QR payment methods.
For a large corporation like Walmart to start accepting a new payment method, a lot of paperwork and resources are required, this takes time. As of date, Walmart has no plans to start accepting payments through Apple Pay but using my secret formula, you can still use Apple Pay to pay at Walmart.
How To Use Apple Pay When Shopping At Walmart
Walmart does not accept Apple Pay, but do you know you can still pay at Walmart using Apple Pay? Here is how.
The secret is Ibotta Pay. Iboota Pay allows you to pay for any Walmart purchase. Just open Ibotta pay in the Ibotta app. Under recommended retailers, pick Walmart. Then click on “pay with Ibotta”. Then enter the checkout amount. In the payment method tab, choose apple pay. Finish by clicking ‘preview’. Make sure you add Apple Pay to Ibotta Pay.
If you are still wondering whether Ibotta accepts Apple Pay, the answer is yes, as of now you can add Apple Pay to Ibotta Pay in the ‘add payment method’ tab.
Apple Pay Alternatives At Walmart
You can use any of the following payment methods at Walmart.
- Credit Cards
- Debit Cards
- Gift Cards and eGift Cards
- Walmart Credit Card
- Cash Payment
- Chase Pay
If you’re eligible for an Affirm loan, you can as well use it to pay for your bills at Walmart both in-store and online. Affirm Credit and debit cards are also allowed at Walmart. Affirm, in partnership with Walmart, offers great credit deals when compared to other credit providers.
Benefits of Payment with Affirm includes;
- You choose the repayment plan for loans.
- No transaction charges for payment at Walmart.
- No service fees when opening or closing your account.
You can use Affirm for both online and in-store purchases at Walmart.
To do this;
- Apply for an instant loan from affirm.com/shop/walmart. Make sure to state a favorable repayment plan.
- Scan the automatically generated barcode at the cashier machine to complete your transaction.
- Pay later.
Pros Of Affirm Payment At Walmart
- You can buy on credit. Affirm offers you instant loans provided you are eligible for one.
- Longer payment periods. As opposed to other credit providers. Affirm offers payment plans from 3 months to two years.
- Affirm does not charge hidden fees, service fees, annual fees, or late fees.
- You can use it for both online and in-store purchases.
- They have a 0% interest card option for those with a good credit score.
Cons Of Affirm Payment At Walmart
- It encourages overspending as they offer long repayment periods.
- Higher interest rates apply if you take longer repayment plans. They charge up to 30% interest rate.
- With longer repayment options comes the problem of record-keeping.
Walmart accepts payment with credit cards. It will accept credit cards that are either American Express, MasterCard, Visa, or Discover. You can use these credit cards whether they are locally obtained (from US banks) or international.
Some benefits of paying by credit cards at Walmart are;
- Buy, even if you’re broke. You’ll pay at the end of the month when your salary comes in.
- It’s faster and easier. To finish the transaction, just swipe your card and get over it.
- Make an online order in Walmart app and pay with your credit card.
You can make both in-store payments and payments for online orders with credit cards. Open the Walmart app on your phone and navigate to Walmart pay.
In Walmart Pay,
- Select credit card as the means of payment.
- You’ll be asked to enter your password to finalize the order.
You can just swipe your card at the counter if you have it with you, and you’re good to go.
Pros Of Credit Card Payment At Walmart
- You can purchase on credit and pay for your expenses at the end month.
- Acceptable at all Walmart stores and on walmart.com for online order.
- Most banks offer rewards like CashBack when you use their credit cards for payments.
- Easy to track the records of your purchases as they are electronically saved.
- The safety of your money is guaranteed by your credit card provider.
Cons Of Credit Card Payment At Walmart
- High-interest rates on the credit facilities offered.
- Overspending. Psychologically, you will easily overspend if you are buying on credit as opposed to a cash purchase where you are mindful of how much you spend.
- Your credit card provider may deny you credit facilities, especially if you don’t meet the minimum credit score.
You can use debit cards (spend your money in the bank), to make purchases at all Walmarts stores and for online orders. Your debit card will have to be either Visa, Mastercard, American Express, or Discover.
Some benefits of paying with debit cards include;
- No transaction cost for purchases.
- They are acceptable at all Walmart stores.
- You can get cashback offers.
For purchases with debit cards, add your debit card as a payment method at Walmart Pay in the Walmart app. To pay using your credit card in the Walmart app, open the Walmart app installed in your phone and navigate to Walmart Pay. Then select a credit card to finalize the transaction.
Pros Of Debit Card Payment At Walmart
- No service charges or transaction cost on your account.
- Enjoy overdraft facilities if you have a shortage. Your debit card provider may give you overdraft privileges if your credit score is good.
- Transaction records are electronically kept. You can access the statement of all your purchases anytime you want.
- Safer means of payment. You’ll need to enter your PIN any time you order. Your card provider also offers primary protection to your money.
- Best for making large transactions. All you need is your card when making orders involving large amounts of money. It’s also safer this way.
Cons Of Debit Card Payment At Walmart
- You’ll be charged overdraft fees.
- You cannot spend beyond your account balance unless your bank allows you overdraft facilities.
- High chances of overspending. If you are not careful you may end up buying lots of stuff, even those you don’t need.
Gift Cards and egift Cards
Walmart offers its customers gift cards that can be used to pay for any purchases. Besides their own Walmart gift cards, Walmart also accepts gift cards from other providers like Visa gift cards, Discover Gift Cards, Lowe’s gift cards, Vanilla gift cards, to name but a few.
Walmart also accepts Walmart eGift Cards as a means of payment for both online and in-store purchases.
Some benefits of paying with gift cards include;
- Your gift card won’t expire.
- They will work both online and at any Walmart store.
- Different gift cards and eGift cards are accepted at Walmart.
Making an online purchase on Walmart app with a gift card is quite easy, just go to payment methods. If you have a linked gift card to your account, it will be used as the default payment option.
For payment using the eGift Card at the store, you’ll need the electronic barcode of your eGift Card. You can also print it on paper and be using it.
Pros Of Gift Cards and egift Cards Payment At Walmart
- Unlike credit and debit cards, Gift cards cannot expire.
- A gift card is the best option if you can’t decide on what gift to buy for someone.
- There’s transparency as you can access your transaction history anytime you need it.
- You can’t get into debt as you cannot spend beyond what’s deposited in the gift card.
- Unlike other physical cards, eGift Cards cannot be lost. All information about your eGift Card is kept in the clouds and can only be accessed by you, rendering it safer.
Cons Of Gift Cards and egift Cards Payment At Walmart
- Once lost, replacing your gift card is tedious, in fact, Walmart will not replace your lost gift card.
- You risk being charged an inactivity fee if you don’t use your gift card for a long time.
- Money in your gift card cannot be withdrawn or transferred to another account.
- You may easily forget about the balance in your gift card after you’ve made the purchase.
Walmart Credit Card
Walmart offers 2 types of cards; Walmart credit cards and Walmart MasterCard. You only have to apply and Walmart will decide which of the two you are more eligible for. If you’re a frequent customer at Walmart and your credit score is good, you can apply for one.
Some benefits of using Walmart Credit Card include;
- Walmart offers 1%, 2%, or 5% cashback according to your purchasing power.
- Walmart MasterCards are acceptable anywhere a Mastercard is accepted.
- You earn points that can be redeemed to cash and used to pay for your order.
If you’re paying for online delivery or at the store using Walmart pay you firstly need to add your Walmart credit card to the payment methods. Anytime you make a purchase, you can then use this card to foot the bill by choosing it in the method of payment tab.
Pros Of Walmart Credit Card Payment At Walmart
- You earn cash back; 5% for purchases at Walmart.com and the store using Walmart pay, 2% on purchases done at Walmart stores, and 1% on purchases at other places.
- With Walmart Credit Card, you are not charged an annual fee.
- There are features that show you how to increase your credit score. You’ll also be shown what’s dragging down your credit score.
- Any time you make a payment, you earn reward points which can be redeemed using Walmart app or their website.
- There are no transaction charges when you withdraw from the cards at Walmart stores.
Cons Of Walmart Credit Card Payment At Walmart
- There are charges for any deposit into your account. These charges vary according to the mode of deposit employed.
- You’ll be charged by both Walmart and the ATM operator anytime you withdraw from the card at an ATM.
- High-interest rates (up to 26.99% per month) for credit facilities they may offer to you.
Yes, Walmart stores accept PayPal as a payment method both for online orders or in-store purchases. You can use PayPal as one of the payment methods in the Walmart app and Walmart.com website or you can just use the PayPal app to pay for in-store purchases. Walmart also accepts PayPal credit or debit cards.
Benefits of Using PayPal includes;
- You have more options at your disposal.
- There are no transaction charges when you buy with PayPal.
- You can withdraw money from your PayPal credit or debit cards at Walmart.
For payment with the PayPal app;
- Go to add cash, then select Walmart.
- Tap ‘Generate Barcode’.
- Scan the barcode at the cashier machine.
For PayPal credit cards or debit cards, treat them as you will treat any other Credit or Debit cards. If you scroll up, you’ll find their procedures.
Pros Of PayPal Payment At Walmart
- You are not charged for making payments at Walmart using PayPal.
- You have different options. Either use a PayPal Credit card for a credit purchase, a debit card, or the PayPal app to pay for goods or services.
- You can withdraw money from PayPal accounts at Walmart stores.
- You can transfer money from PayPal to your Walmart accounts.
- Walmart app allows you to add PayPal as a payment option.
Cons Of PayPal Payment At Walmart
- PayPal has hidden charges. You also incur higher charges if you withdraw from PayPal at Walmart.
- Walmart does not accept contactless PayPal as they have not employed near-field communication (NFC) technology yet.
- PayPal fees are higher when compared to other merchants.
The cash payment method has been there since time immemorial. It will still exist unless everyone goes crypto. Walmart stores are among the many businesses that allow payment with cash.
Some benefits of cash payments include;
- When you pay in cash, you won’t overspend that easily.
- No transaction cost and you can account for every penny.
- No hidden charges
Cash payments do not involve any tech.
- Wait for your bill from the cashier.
- Count and give out the corresponding amount.
- Wait for your change, if there is, and the receipt.
First set up a Chase Pay account at Walmart Pay in the Walmart app as a payment option. To do this, you’ll need your chase.com user ID and password. Once you’ve successfully set up the account, you can then use Chase Pay to pay at all Walmart stores
Pros Of Cash Payment At Walmart
- Your money is safe from electronic fraud. Your money will be safe unless misplaced or someone physically steals it from you.
- No chances of getting into debt. With cash payment, you can only spend what you have in hand.
- Less chance of overspending. Naturally, it’s hard to spend too much when paying in cash as opposed to electronic payments.
- No transaction cost is incurred. With cash payment, you are your banker so no one will charge you for any transaction.
- Easier to track your expenditure. You can account for all of your expenditure.
Cons Of Cash Payment At Walmart
- You can easily lose your money due to thievery or misplacement. Cash attracts thieves and in most cases, once they steal it, it’s forever gone.
- At times, cash payment is time-consuming. The cashier may not have the right denominations for your balance and you’ll have to wait a couple of minutes for it to be found.
- You cannot use cash payment for online delivery as Walmart does not accept cash on delivery.
All Walmart stores accept Chase Pay as a payment method. You can use Personal Visa and Master cards and Chase Liquid cards to pay. You can as well link your chase accounts at Walmart Pay.
Benefits of paying with Chase Pay includes;
- You earn credit card rewards if you pay with Personal Visa credit or debit cards.
- If you are a loyal customer, you can benefit from discounts and other offers by Chase.
- You can pay with Chase pay in the Walmart app.
Pros Of Chase Pay Payment At Walmart
- You can use Chase pay for both in-store and on walmart.com to make an online order.
- You can gain reward points which can be redeemed and converted to cash.
- You’ll get some of the best cashback Chase offers when you use Chase pay.
- Chase Bank has larger geographical coverage. You can get their services in most countries worldwide.
- Chase bank offers ‘Chase Pay Yourself Back’, where you can redeem your points or use money from any savings plans you had earlier created.
Cons Of Chase Pay Payment At Walmart
- Besides the monthly fixed charges, there are hidden fees that you may not be aware of.
- Encourages overspending. Chase offers different repayment plans that may entice you to overspend.
- Linking your chase.com account with Walmart app takes longer and more details are required.
To Sum Up
The answer to your question does Walmart take apple pay is, No. Walmart does not accept Apple pay, Samsung Pay, or any other mobile wallets. However, you can sign up with Walmart Pay and use it instead.